How Genetic Testing Can Improve Health
Genetic testing has moved into the mainstream and is now the future of preventive health. In addition to the thousands of tests being offered for medical conditions and diseases, the science and research behind genetic testing for lifestyle and wellness improvement has progressed dramatically.
The science can now help identify the specific genes that dictate how the human body processes carbohydrates, fats, proteins and micro-nutrients; how types of exercise affect the body; how lifestyle behaviors influence the aging process; and how unique metabolic and physiologic functions influence athletic performance.
How It Works
1. Pick up the DNA test kit in our office
2. DNA sample will be analyzed and genotype will be identified. Individualized DNA report will be ready within 2-3 weeks.
3. Office appointment to discuss DNA results and wellness goals. A personalized plan will be tailored to your unique genetic profile.
4. Schedule appointments with online health coach.
• 89 genetic markers tested, 15 traits scored
• Mental/physical foundation, training response, fuel utilization and recovery recommendations
• 94 genetic markers tested, 28 traits scored
• Nutrition, exercise and lifestyle recommendations to look and feel better, longer
• 42 genetic markers tested, 15 traits scored
• Food recommendations and success strategies for maintaining healthy nutrient levels
Frequently Asked Questions
How does DNA testing work?
We use a noninvasive swab to collect cells from the mouth. The swab is easy to use and only takes about a minute to collect enough DNA for analysis. Once collected, the swab is mailed directly to our lab for analysis.
What genes are analyzed in the test?
Our lab analyzes approximately 300 unique genetic markers that have been shown through external research to be related to various ways the human body processes food, nutrients and physical exercise, as well as how the body responds to the aging process.
How long do results take?
Typical turnaround time for the entire process (swab kit shipping, DNA extraction and analysis, quality inspection, report generation) is approximately 10-15 business days. You will be notified as soon as your report is ready.
Do you test for any serious inherited diseases?
No. Our lab focuses soley on those genes that are related to the body’s ability to process food, nutrients and physical exercise. Any DNA test performed to detect predictors for disease should be interpreted by a physician or a certified genetic counselor.
What happens to the samples?
All DNA samples will be destroyed by the lab within 45 days of analyzing the DNA.
How is personal information protected?
To prevent unauthorized access to your information, our systems are run on HIPAA-compliant architecture, employing secure servers, firewalls and encrypted back-ups.
Does insurance cover the cost?
Probably not. Most insurance companies do not yet pay for genetic tests related to health management programs like ours. If your physician recommends you utilize a weight management program, you can use your HSA or FSA funds to pay for H2 Slim.
Can employers or insurers request a copy of results?
No. Your privacy is protected by the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA), which was instituted in the United States in May 2008. As a result, you are also not required to disclose genetic information to an employer or insurer. In addition, Genetic Direction will not respond to any request for test results from an insurer, employer or any other entity.